Dilsberg (originally written in German in 1987)

Along the Neckar to Dilsberg

I’m so tired I can barely write though I walked only 20 km today. The world is just coming back from hibernation, it was really warm today, the tree’s buds are slowly opening, and the first pussy willows can be found. My foot is aching and excruciating me, so I stopped for a short break every 45 minutes. The trail led me almost all the time along the river Neckar, however mostly approx 100 m above the river. A nice half hour I spent at a small brook falling 20m wide across many rocks and via countless bifurcations and down to the stream. I unfolded my mat on an island within whooshing water and listened. Later I climbed a hunter’s raised hide and enjoyed the beautiful view across the whole valley. Another time sitting on a stack of logs, body inclined backwards, eyes closed listening to the bird’s songs. All this and much more means springtime. The sun, countless brimstone butterflies (or is it only one accompanying me all the time?). I’m enjoying solitude, as not a single person is on the way.

In the Youth Hostel I’m treated with priority, once again I’m alone in my room, maybe there will be another guest arriving late. They had prepared a tea to take away for tomorrow, it’s so nice here. I’ve already visited the castle, the last time when we stayed here during our bicycle tour in a bigger group there was not time. Very impressive the whole construction, the best is the 80 m hidden tunnel from outside to the ground of the castle’s fountain. It had been broken centuries ago in the sandstone. Also, the small village located around the castle is amazing, a little labyrinthic, everything grown, not planned. A wonderful day!

Comments