Altkönig (2018)

Walking Up the Hill

Greybeard has been at this place several times before, one of his first visits is described here , more than 35 years later he decided to re-visit this magical place again.

These days he felt my mind was very restless, it was Wednesday and I first attended 1,5 hours Yoga, which helped me a little to calm down my thoughts. However I wanted to continue with my meditation at a calm place, so I chose to climb Altkönig again.

I selected the closest parking place, from there I knew there were a couple of very steep paths to the top of the hill. Google Maps told me a distance of approximately 2 km, but with an difference in altitude of more than 250 m - so an inclination of > 10%. Tough!

I took my mobile with Google Maps (what an achievement compared to the old Boys Scouts days) and started hiking, following the most direct path to the top. Obviously the paths were often used by mountain bikers for their downhill races. After a couple of minutes I experienced the effect of my asthma, my heart was racing and my lungs were not able to grasp the required fresh air - so I needed to rest. The whole 2 km distance to the top took me almost 30 minutes with some breaks to calm down the heart rate.

When I arrived at the former outer ring wall I was very excited - nothing seemed to have changed compared to 30 years ago.

After I had passed the second cairn I immediately recognized the cripple pines, maybe a little higher than I had them in my memories, but the same magical scenery. A path covered by long needles, winding across pine roots between the well known blueberry bushes (unfortunately without the berries), the sky covered by the pine's crowns, again a scenery to fall in love with. 

Stepping out of the pine forest there is the grass covered top plain again - also this area a little smaller than in my memories, it seems the trees have gained some more space since then. Just at my arrival I realize the sun is setting at the opposite side of the plain behind some other tree-covered mountains, so I watch out for a nice place to observe the sunset. Unfortunately I am not the only person with that idea, there is a young lady occupying a wooden table with the best view. However I find a place a little aside (because I don't want to disturb or disctract her). From my place I am able to observe the whole beautiful play of the sun sinking behind the mountains.

After the sun had disappeared behind the other hill I looked for another seat on the top plain and found a stone, while sitting there I could still feel the heat of a hot sunny day stored in this stone. I sat there for a while, noting some thoughts but soon I realized it was getting dark very soon. So I rushed back the same path I came up - but dawn was faster and soon I was walking on a very steep path with loose pebbles in almost darkness. Trying to find a slightly more safe way, finally using even my torch of my mobile to identify the steps I could safely put my feet to. When I finally arrived at my car I was really relieved I made the way back without cracking my ankles. Though I had not been able to really meditate on the hill I was so happy I had been there, refreshing my 30 years old memories of this fairy enchanted place.

Comments