Experiencing Nature
(happened during a several days hike in Odenwald-Spessart)
I just had a pretty bad experience: I made a stop at around 16:00 in a Forest-Restaurant „Bayerische Schanz“ (similar to „Fuchstanz“ in Taunus). Already when I entered the room all conversations stopped. I ate two „Kasseler“ and noticed interested and curious staring at me from everywhere in the room. Each of the visitors was even more fat than his neighbors, all had come to „Nature“ by car in order to „hike“. At the parking was a board explaining how to recognize forest damages, some trees in their last phases of dying were close by, but nobody seemed to care, most important was the meal was good. When I left the restaurant almost escaping it a white Golf Cabrio approached with two already older people dressed in expensive Lacoste shirts. Both were almost unable to walk because of their bellies.
Is this what it means to be „civilized“? My escape led me to a spruce forest: soil is covered by grass, many strange insects are crawling there. Next to me some young trees, spiderwebs glistening in the sinking sun. Higher tufts of grass swinging in the soft wind, blazing like burning. Though my place is not even a kilometer from the convivial restaurant.
Don’t they even notice this anymore? Will I behave the same when I‘ll be back home? This must and shall not be - my girlfriend and I need to resist to become like them.

Comments
Post a Comment